Friday, December 19, 2008

Yes, Books are Heavy

Today I moved out of my college dorm. Packing was interesting. I found a lot of things in my room that I didn't know I had. Most of these previously unknown items materialized in the form of old M&M's packages, one sock, and several bags of Twizzlers. There was also the ten dollar bill, but I won't mention that.

Besides all that, I sold my books for ridiculously cheap prices at the bookstore. It's so hard parting with books. My life consisted of them for the past few months, and now someone else's life will consist of them. It's interesting.

At any rate, I was trying to carry the books that I kept (the larger ones that I actually rented) down four flights of stairs. Yes, I live on the forth floor, and there is no elevator. I decided to put the multiple pounds of books into a flimsy grocery sack. I then proceeded to carry it down the stairs along with a suitcase and several other item-filled grocery sacks.

I made it to the bottom of the stairs and had to stop, because it felt like the bag with the books was breaking. I didn't want to put down the rest of my bags, because I didn't feel like I could lift them again. I still had a ways to walk to my car, and I couldn't open the door of the building.

Then this random guy came along from behind me. He just kind of appeared, and said the best words ever:

"Hey miss, let me carry that for you."

He was so nice, and carried that ridiculously heavy sack all the way to the car, and tried to talk to me too. On one hand, I was worried he was a serial killer or something, and would steal my car. On the other, I thought that all guys should be like him.

But anyway, that is all. Nothing else happened. So why am I talking about this?

It's the little things in life that matters. I will remember that random guy for quite some time. If you see someone who needs help, just help them.

Because, yes, books are heavy. I figured that out today.

2 comments:

Callie said...

Hi Angela! That was very nice of that guy to help you! I'm glad he wasn't a serial killer, (he, he)! ut you're right, just giving someone a hand when they're struggling with their packages can mean a lot.
Hopefully I'll see you soon! And write more stuff, I like reading your blog. :o)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I wish more men were like that...to stop and help! :)